Friday, 19 October 2012

Chris Brown 'Should've Kissed You' Previous Student Music Video Analysis


I really like the murky sort of effect this video has over a lot of it's clips. I think it makes the video look really simple but effective as it makes the whole narrative ever sadder and cuter, which I'm guessing is what they wanted their audience to feel. The murky effect also made the video have some really nice imagery. For example, the river Thames with Big Ben in the background.
I also think this was shot at a really good hour, it wasn't too dark, but it was dark enough that it had quite a romantic feel, which is another thing I'm assuming they intended as it is a romantic narrative!
Another thing I liked, was the split screen at the end, I thought it worked really well and fit in with the narrative really well!
Similarly, the lip-synching worked extremely well! Which made the music video a lot more effective - After seeing so many student made examples now, I think it is really important to make sure you have a good lip-syncher, as it can turn a really good music video, into a really bad music video as it just makes it so hard to believe as it looks so unrealistic.
Another thing that worked really well was the editing. Particularly the transitions from one shot to another, as it ran really smoothly.
In terms of mise en scene, the costumes even worked really well. I don't know if this was intentional, but as the girl was dressed in a deep red coat, you could tell she was a very warm character, who felt a lot for the boy, but he kept putting off times to kiss her. You could almost say he was being "cold" to her, thus him mainly being dressed in blue colours. Also, underneath her coat, the girl was wearing a white dress, possibly connoting that she was a very honest and true person, and this is why she showed her true feelings by kissing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment